Some types of jobs require workers to be in perfect health to effectively perform their duties. An example is a product delivery company that requires its workers to lift heavy loads often. Some service industries require workers to be mentally perfect to serve customers better. After hiring a worker, an employer may request them to provide a pre-employment physical form. They may visit a doctor who examines their medical history, body system, and vital organs. If the report is negative, the employee may lose the position unless the state laws prohibit the examinations.
- 1 Physical Forms for Work
- 2 What is a physical exam for work?
- 3 Why is an employment physical form important?
- 4 Pre Employment Physical Forms
- 5 What do they do for a pre-employment physical?
- 6 Types of physical tests done on employees
- 7 What is a pre-employment medical form?
- 8 Physical Exam Templates
- 9 Steps for preparing a pre-employment medical form
- 10 Requirements for employment physical form
- 11 Is it a legal requirement to fill a physical exam template?
- 12 Employment Physical Forms
- 13 How does an employee get ready for job physical tests?
- 14 Different types of pre-employment physical forms
Physical Forms for Work
What is a physical exam for work?
In the final phase of your recruitment process, you might be asked to provide the employment physical form. This can be during your final interview or before you sign your job offer letter. It is a report from a doctor who performs several texts on your body to confirm if you are fit to work.
An employment physical form is a form that details the examinations that a doctor performed. It assures an employer that the employee who’s about to join them is both physically and mentally fit to perform work tasks. The doctor performs several examinations. The employer may request specific tests or leave the doctor to decide the tests to perform.
Why is an employment physical form important?
Both the employer and employee benefit from the results in a job physical form in different ways.
- The employee will know their physical health status. An individual could have health issues they are not aware of. During the employment physical tests, they might discover important health issues that can be averted before they become a bigger problem.
- If the employee gets exposed to harmful chemicals that affect their health, they will know the way forward. If there was no pre-employment exam done, the employer might claim the employee had the condition before they got hired. If the examination had declared them healthy, they could claim compensation from the employee.
- The employer understands the health status of the person they are employing. If the employee has health challenges and gets hired, the employer will know the kind of work they can manage and what they cannot. They get more benefits than this.
- The employer will be sure the employee will safely handle machines or other work-related tools. It helps reduce chances of injuries which can lead to costly insurance claims.
- It helps the employer ensure they have the right work environment according to laws.
Pre Employment Physical Forms
What do they do for a pre-employment physical?
Occupational health experts address the needs of employers across all business sectors. Their main aim is to help reduce workplace injuries that could result in costly claims. Some of the injuries or accidents could cause permanent disabilities or illnesses.
The federal and state governments have hundreds of labor laws that must be complied with by both employers and employees. The job physical form helps remind them of the importance of compliance. The test consists of different things. The tests can be done at different work levels.
Pre-employment physical exams: These are tests done before work begins. Two types of tests can be performed at this level.
- Pre-placement examination
- Functional ability examination – Tests physical capacity for an employer to perform specific duties.
Regulated physical examinations: These types of tests are done to help employers understand if they are compliant with federal/state work regulations. The main types of workers who take this physical examination are:
- Truck drives
- Bus drivers
- Maritime workers, etc.
Medical surveillance examinations: They are routine physical examinations performed by employees. They are screened from time to time to test if they have been exposed to pathogens or other hazardous materials in their duties. Some of the examinations done for this type of test are respirator fit exams.
Fitness for duty physical examination: This is a routine test done on specific workers from time to time. It could be after the worker takes their leave days or after an injury. They are done to ascertain that the worker is fit to return to work. The helps reduce chances of further injuries at the workplace.
Types of physical tests done on employees
An employer could be specific on the details they need in the physical exam template. If they are not, the health personnel may design their employment physical form and fill in the details of the tests.
The physical exam template is a type of questionnaire form that helps the medical expert ask relevant questions to help them get the answers they are looking for. A standard job physical form will help a doctor perform:
Tests on vision ability: Tests if the person has a sharp vision and whether they can read or see things clearly from a distance.
Vital sign tests: They are tests done to check if the person has the following working well.
- Their breathing rate is normal
- Their temperature is okay. Not too high or low.
- Their blood pressure is normal
- They have the right rate of heartbeat
- Their height is right (some departments like the military and police have specific height requirements)
- Checking the right weight (some types of sports require a specific minimum weight)
Other types of tests done are inspections of the:
Gastrointestinal tests: The tests are done on the gastrointestinal system and may include several tests such as:
- Bowel sound tests (auscultation)
- Testing system tenderness (percussion)
- Abdominal rigidity/tenderness tests (palpation)
Cardiovascular examinations: this is a general test of the heart which may include the following:
- Retinal arteries
- Laboratory tests
Respiratory system tests: The tests are done of the respiratory system and may include the following:
- Listening to breathing sounds
- Rate of respiration
- Observing skin color
Musculoskeletal tests: The tests focus on skeletal structure and may include the following:
- Body joints
- Application of pressure
Neuro exam: The examination is done on the neuro coordination. It can include the following:
- Motor function
- Mental alertness
- Sensory response
Other types of tests done:
- Drugs tests
- Alcohol tests
- TB tests
What is a pre-employment medical form?
A pre-employment medical form is a report of checkups by a health expert. The test is requested by an employer to help avoid any health complications in an employee. Some work tasks are rigorous and may only be suitable for workers who meet certain health conditions.
In many companies, the pre-employment physical form is part of the recruitment process. They are mostly the last requirement by an employer before an employee begins orientation. The procedure for filling the physical exam template must be followed strictly.
Physical Exam Templates
Steps for preparing a pre-employment medical form
There are different types of templates used for pre-employment physical examinations. What is important is to download the right type of form. It depends on the type of employer or any special requests that the employer might make. Follow these steps.
Details of the candidate
The report should correctly identify the candidate. The important details that must be included in the form are:
- Email/physical address
Candidate’s medical history
The medical history of a candidate can be obtained in two ways.
- The health expert may perform tests
- They may also ask the person questions about their health history.
Any current medications on use
If the candidate is using any medications currently, the health expert should include that in the report.
Any further comments
If the health expert has any additional information to give, they can share it in detail in the provided space.
The must be signed by the health expert who performed the tests. This is what makes the template authentic.
Requirements for employment physical form
The greater responsibility lies with the employer. They must make sure the physical exam template captures all required information. These rules are important to ensure no employee is discriminated against. Follow the following rules.
Employment physical tests cannot be done before hiring. They are given to candidates who reach the final hiring phase. They are required to fill out the form when they are certain to get hired.
The tests must be the same. No employee should be discriminated against through the tests. There must be a standard way for requesting and administering the tests. If additional tests are requested for a certain employee, it should be done across the board.
An employer is not limited to the kind of pre-employment physical tests they can require. They can ask for a physical fitness test, mental health, drug, alcohol, psychological test, etc.
An employer should request tests according to its work demands. If the work environment involves a lot of physical tasks, physical fitness can be requested. If the tasks require a lot of mental engagement, a mental fitness test can be requested.
The employment physical form is a secret and confidential document. It must never be mixed with other documents.
If a certain employee has physical disabilities, the employer should reasonably accommodate them during the physical tests.
If the company is asking the questions instead of a medical expert, they should avoid asking employers some of the following questions.
- Do you have breathing problems, a heart condition, or asthma?
- Can you recall the total days you were sick in the past year?
- Do you suffer from a disability that would affect your productivity at work?
- Have you ever suffered injuries at work?
- Have you ever or are you under mental treatment currently?
- Have you filled out a medical compensation claim before?
Is it a legal requirement to fill a physical exam template?
If an employer is not offering a job, they should not ask you to take a physical medical examination. The test is requested under a conditional hire. If you are offered a conditional hire, you will be requested to take the physical tests.
Note that the employer will not hire you if you fail the tests, even if you have received the job offer. Although the employer may give you special privileges if you suffer a disability, they are not bound by law to hire you if they have better talent. If they agree to hire you, they cannot lower your salary rate just because of your disabilities. Discrimination is unlawful.
Employment Physical Forms
How does an employee get ready for job physical tests?
It might not be possible to alter the health status of an employee overnight, but they can get ready for the tests in several ways.
Write down your medical history: Your medical history will form a major part of the pre-employment examination. To avoid looking as if you are guessing, get ready with the following details.
- Your detailed medical history. Focus on the major issues and ignore minor sicknesses. You may record issues such as:
- Current medical conditions
- Medications currently taking
If you need any aid, ensure you get it early. You might need:
- Hearing aids
- Reading glasses
- Identification document/s. have ready with you documents such as
- Your driver’s license
- State/Federal id
- Employer budge
- Any important information
You might require detailed information on any extra thing you might need.
Different types of pre-employment physical forms
Different types of employers will require a different type of physical exam template.
Job physical form for firefighters
Firefighters do risky work that requires them to be attentive and act swiftly. They may be required to climb high walls, walk long distances in the forest and listen keenly to instructions. They may take the following tests.
- Neuro tests
- Mental tests
Job physical form for police/army officer
Police or army officer requires to be physically, emotionally, and psychologically fit. They can take the following physical tests.
- Diabetes, etc.
Job physical form for commercial pilots
Commercial pilots sometimes fly airplanes for many hours. They constantly communicate with radar control crews on the ground. They must understand instructions fast, be quick to hear, and have good problem-solving abilities. They may require the following tests:
- Cognitive test
- Hearing ability
- Physical fitness test
- Mental fitness
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Cardiovascular tests
Job physical form for a store worker
Store workers must know effective communication, good customer service and have problem-solving skills. They lift, carry, or pull heavy loads often. They require to be:
- Physically fit
- Not have breathing problems
- Have a good communication ability