Inventory sheets and lists are very useful tools. You can use them to monitor item stocks which are important for the operation of a business. However, a lot of people find making an inventory list template a tedious task.
- 1 Inventory List Templates
- 2 Inventory Spreadsheets
- 3 Benefits of using inventory forms
- 4 Inventory Forms
- 5 Create your own inventory list template in Microsoft Excel
- 6 How to manage your inventory in business?
Luckily, you can download such a template here. Then, you can start using the template to benefit your business. Inventory forms and lists are very useful in different settings. You can use them at home, in school or even in professional settings.
An inventory list contains items which you need to restock periodically. You need to check these items regularly and update your inventory spreadsheet. Do this to make sure that you’re not running low on supplies.
In this article, you’ll learn a lot about inventory lists. Later on, we’ll even go through some steps in making an Excel inventory template. Read on to learn all this useful information.
Inventory List Templates
You can make an inventory form or list template to serve different purposes. They are very useful when you want to keep track of inventory items. You can download a template here and edit it according to your needs.
Here are some common types of templates you can download or create:
- Apartment inventory list template
- Area inventory list template
- Assets inventory list template
- Bar inventory list template
- Blank inventory list template
- Building inventory list template
- Business inventory list template
- Chemical inventory list template
- Furniture inventory list template
- Grocery inventory list template
- Home inventory list template
- IT inventory list template
- Laboratory inventory list template
- Medicines inventory list template
- Moving inventory list template
- Office inventory list template
- Packing list inventory template
- Pantry food inventory list
- Personal property inventory list template
- Restaurant inventory list template
- Stock delivery inventory list template
- Vehicle inventory list template
- Wedding inventory list template
These are just some examples of inventory sheets you can download or create. There are a lot more. If you want to make an inventory of something, all you have to do is come up with a template for it. Such templates will help you stay organized and updated when it comes to your inventory.
Benefits of using inventory forms
You can make different types of inventory lists. If you want to keep your home organized, create a home inventory list. On it, you can list all the items in your home. Either that or create a list of all the regular items you use in your home.
In doing this, you will know when you need to restock on those items. You can also create a personal property inventory if you live with other people. Do this so you can keep track of all your belongings.
When you decide to move, you can create a moving inventory. This will help you check if you’ve successfully brought all your items with you when you moved. These are some practical uses for inventory lists and forms.
Making such documents may prove to be very beneficial. Here are the other benefits of creating and using inventory list templates:
- With it, you can maintain a good balance of your inventory items
You won’t have to buy too many stocks when you don’t need to. Also, there’s a very low risk of running out of supplies. This is especially true if you keep your inventory updated.
You don’t even have to check your list every day. Just set a schedule for doing inventory so you can monitor your stocks efficiently.
- You can manage inventory turnover better
This benefit applies more to businesses. You need to maintain a high inventory turnover ratio. Do this so you can prevent your products from spoiling or becoming obsolete.
When you have a proper list, you will be able to analyze your product and stock patterns. This way, you can start using your resources more effectively.
- You can keep your customers satisfied
The best way to manage your inventory well is to use an inventory list. When you’re able to keep your inventory in check, you’ll be able to keep your customers satisfied.
With an inventory list, you will always provide fresh stocks to your customers. Because of this, they will always want to come back to your place of business.
- It can help you plan more accurately
Whether you use the inventory list at home or at work, you can use it when you’re planning. Use the list to check your stocks and supplies regularly. This way, you can determine if it’s already time to purchase more items.
Also, when you plan to go shopping, you can make another inventory list. This will help you shop more efficiently and in a more organized manner.
- You can organize your stocks better
At home, you can use the inventory form to organize all your possessions and items. And when you need to find something, all you have to do is refer to the list. You can store your items in different places and note them on your list.
This will allow you to organize everything better. If you’re selling items, you can use the list to help you determine the top-selling items. You can also use it to find out which products customers usually order together.
This way, you can organize the items in your store to make it more appealing to customers.
- Use it to keep track of orders and items
If you periodically order items, you can create an inventory list for them. Then, you’ll be able to keep track of the orders when you receive updates. When you receive an item, you can note it on your list so you don’t have to follow-up.
The same goes for the items you already own. If you own items and stocks in different locations, inventory sheets become crucial. You can create different lists for different locations if you have to. Then you can monitor all your items more effectively.
- Save time and money
If you use such lists and templates to manage your inventory, you can save a lot of time. You don’t have to keep on counting items every day just to make sure you still have enough. Just check the list and keep it updated from time to time.
Aside from saving time, such lists can also save you a lot of money. When you know exactly what you need to buy, you don’t have to spend more than you need to. In a business, you won’t have to purchase items which don’t sell. Instead, you can buy items which you know fly off the shelves quickly.
Inventory spreadsheets may seem simple but as you can see, they are very beneficial. That’s why a lot of people and businesses choose to use these documents. Now let’s move on to some tips on how you can manage your inventory better.
Create your own inventory list template in Microsoft Excel
As you can see, inventory lists are very useful. If you want to have your own inventory spreadsheet, you can make them in 2 ways. First, you can download and edit a template.
Either that or you can make an Excel inventory template from scratch. Let’s look at both methods:
Download a template
- Launch Microsoft Excel and click on the search bar. You can find this at the top portion of the Excel window.
- Type “inventory list templates” and press enter. This action will give you a list of templates you can use for managing your inventory.
- Browse through the different templates and choose the one you prefer. Look at the different formats of the templates. Select the one which would suit your needs best.
- Preview the template first to get a good look at its format and features. If you don’t like the template, you can exit the preview by pressing the Esc button.
- When you’ve found one you like, click “Create” in the preview window of the template. Wait for the template to load before you can start editing.
- Once the template loads, type all your inventory information. If you want to change the information on a pre-filled cell, just double-click it. Then delete the information on the cell and type what you need to.
- After you’ve entered all the information, don’t forget to save your document.
You can also download your template from here and use it for your inventory needs. If you have more than one inventory list to make, create a folder for all your inventory files. This way, you can organize the files and find them easily when you need to.
Create a template from scratch
- Launch Microsoft Excel to open a blank sheet.
- At the top of the sheet, create the headers for your inventory list. You can create as many headers as you need to.
- Also, adjust the width of the columns as needed. Do this so you can read all the information without having to click on the cell first.
- Continue formatting until you’ve created a blank template. Then you can use it for different inventory lists.
- Once you’re done, save your document as a blank template.
- When you need to make an inventory list, open the file. Then you can start typing all the important information as needed. When you’re done, don’t forget to save the file under a different file name.
How to manage your inventory in business?
Aside from using inventory lists, there are other ways to manage your inventory well. Especially in businesses, a lot of its capital relies on the inventory. So great inventory management is truly crucial. Here are some pointers to guide you:
Planning your inventory
All businesses must learn how to plan their inventory. If you run out of popular or high-demand items, it would lead to losses. You can lose sales and customers because of this. This is the only reason why planning is the first and most important step.
You need to come up with a system wherein you can manage your items and keep them circulating.
Ideally, new inventory stocks and items must come before the old ones run out. In order to do this, you must assign people to keep track of all items in the inventory. No matter how big a business is, proper planning is key.
It may lead to successful inventory management.
Establishing your order cycles
A lot of businesses have what’s known as “busy seasons.” These are times in the year when specific items are in high-demand for weeks or months. Although you’d like to stock up on these items, they do carry a risk.
As soon as the season ends, you’ll get stuck with those items. To avoid this, you should establish proper order cycles. You should be able to find the balance for your inventory. You should be able to order enough stocks without exceeding the turnover.
Keep track of these seasonal items so the next time around, you’re more prepared to deal with them. You should be able to predict order cycles so you don’t end up ordering too much or too little.
Balancing your stocks
In order to balance your stocks, you need to learn how to control your inventory. You should be able to maintain your high-demand items. At the same time, you should prevent the less-popular items from becoming obsolete.
Keeping track of your inventory
Finally, you need to keep track of your inventory at all times. You may plan and establish inventory management strategies well. But if you don’t apply them, they won’t help you. Make sure to keep track of your inventory constantly to keep yourself updated.
If you can’t do it, assign someone dependable in your organization to do it. You can keep track of inventory periodically or perpetually. When you do it periodically, you set a specific time to check and update inventory.
You can do this monthly, quarterly or yearly. Whatever numbers you come up with, you write them down on your inventory list. That way, you keep the document up-to-date.
If you do your inventory perpetually, you need to keep track of stocks at all times.
This is an ideal method for businesses which sell goods and merchandise. You keep track of items you sell, purchase, and those returned to you. You’ll keep an inventory list updated in real-time.