Compensations are often determined by the time and quality of service rendered. Because of this, every employer, by practice often keeps a log. They use this to monitor employee performance.
This log will contain information relevant to current or accomplished work. It will also contain information about the employees involved, time frames for the job, and so on. When hiring personnel paid on an hourly basis, this log will come in handy.
- 1 Equipment Maintenance Log
- 2 Types of Maintenance logs
- 3 Maintenance Log Spreadsheet
- 4 Benefits of using an equipment maintenance log
- 5 The significance of equipment maintenance
- 6 Tips for equipment maintenance
- 7 What to think about when making an equipment maintenance log
There are several maintenance logs you can use to keep track of business property. You can also use them to monitor services and equipment. You use these logs to make sure that they will retain their value in the future.
Large companies and factories always possess a well-equipped equipment maintenance log. This will contain relevant information for different purposes.
A very good example of a maintenance log is one used by car workshops. They use it to keep track of what is current with a client’s automobile. Whenever needed, the workshop can make available the car’s history and requirements.
They need these for future maintenance. This article is all about such logs. We’ll go through the different types, benefits, and other relevant information about them.
Equipment Maintenance Log
Types of Maintenance logs
For company and business establishments, keeping a maintenance log is very important. This is because it’s a ready source of information. It can be about equipment, employees, on-going projects, completed projects, and much more. You can classify such company logs as either:
Anybody who has dealings with company policies will be familiar with this type of log. It generally contains the necessary data regarding an employee. It would include their names, positions, and current job assignments.
It would also have information about their performances, job accomplishments, and scheduled assignments.
These will provide information about the company’s current projects. It will include their current status and their expected time of completion. This can help the company make adjustments.
They would know what to do in case the project lags behind its time schedule.
Maintenance schedule logs
This log is a type of timetable for all the undergoing projects in the company. It also includes those projects which they have already completed.
Machinery maintenance logs
This log would contain information about scheduled maintenance. This applies to the machines used in the company. You may use different kinds of machines and equipment on a daily basis.
You need to have them serviced regularly. Without regular maintenance, you run the risk of damaging your equipment.
Maintenance Log Spreadsheet
Benefits of using an equipment maintenance log
A company engaged in renting out equipment will always have a good equipment service log. Use it to keep track of the conditions, functioning, and maintenance of the equipment. After all, it is the bloodline of their business.
Breaking down of hired equipment because of poor maintenance isn’t good. It will make them lose money and will certainly be bad for their business reputation.
The benefits gained from keeping a machinery maintenance log are numerous. Consider the following:
- It helps prevent costly repair work because of poor maintenance. Equipment for hire is constantly subjected to wear and tear. It’s therefore imperative to conduct a maintenance check after every rental. In doing this, you can fix minor damages before they get worse. You should document each check-up or repair in the equipment service log. Do this to ensure that the equipment is always in good shape for the next rental.
- It helps you develop specialized programs for equipment maintenance. A equipment when rented out is usually subjected to varied working conditions. Each of this may require a different maintenance check-up. You need to record data from these check-ups all the time. This data may help you determine the type of maintenance work needed for each equipment.
- It may help prevent any issues with regards to warranty claims. Documentation of maintenance work is a vital factor when dealing with warranty claims. Always document all maintenance work on equipment. This will include exact dates and time of the repairs as well as what repairs done. This will greatly help in determining the business’s rights for any warranty claims.
- It enhances the safety of the machine and equipment operators. Well-maintained equipment is less likely to cause accidents in the work area. It happens due to machinery malfunctions. Operators are usually the ones who take the brunt of such accidents. But you could have avoided these accidents in the first place. Like a patient’s file, the equipment service log will keep track of the equipment’s health. Looking at such log will determine what kind of maintenance you should perform. This is vital to ensure the people’s safety in the work environment.
- It helps you keep track of the one accountable for machines and equipment. The machinery maintenance log keeps track of all operators who handled the machine. So you can hold accountable those who have inflicted damage to it. This is especially important when accidents happen. Having the log will certainly remind operators to take care of their equipment.
- It improves the resale value of your equipment. Equipment that is well-maintained will keep its resale value high. It will not depreciate much. The log will be proof of its high-maintenance to prospective buyers.Very well-maintained and well-documented equipment can demand a higher price.
The significance of equipment maintenance
Rental equipment always faces the prospect of wear and tear. Those who rent them out should also take a greater proactive stance. Many companies sometimes ignore preventive maintenance. They aren’t aware that spending some time can save the company more money in the long-run.
- You can prevent the breakdown of your equipment
Equipment breaking down will leave no choice but to repair it. You can do this by yourself, delegate the job to an employee or hire a specialist to do it. In the meantime, you lose a lot of time and money.
You will never know when equipment will break down. When it does, it will disrupt continuous service.
You can avoid these catastrophes when you incorporate preventive maintenance into your system. A regular check-up of your equipment can pinpoint any problems before they even arise.
- You can notice potential problems early on
Regular check-ups will decrease any potential problems that may arise in your equipment. Take for instance your kitchen range. You can do regular check-ups, cleaning and replacement work on its heating elements.
This can lessen the risk of fire incidents.
This can apply as well to your wear and tear equipment. Have them checked by specialists who can easily spot damages. Then you can have them repaired or replaced. This will save you time and money.
- It will actually save you a lot of money
When it comes to industrial equipment, the expenses are astronomical. Kitchen equipment of the finest quality, in particular, is expensive to buy. They are also costly to repair and costly to replace.
For a practical user, one should make the most of it to recover its costs. And a great way to achieve this is through proper maintenance.
Poorly maintained equipment will be less efficient and productive. This will manifest itself in higher energy usage. Eventually, you end up with higher electric bills. You can avoid such predicaments when your equipment is properly maintained.
- Regular maintenance will make your equipment last longer
Many of us have experienced what happens when we don’t change our car’s motor oil. Just the thought gives us a headache on the resulting problems. In analogy, this also applies to poorly maintained equipment.
Without that regular maintenance, they will deteriorate faster. In the long-run, it will be costlier to maintain.
Tips for equipment maintenance
The most important reason for equipment maintenance is the enhanced productivity and profitability. With no proper maintenance, it would be very hard to keep work progress on track.
Poorly maintained equipment can only mean compromising work. This would be because of machine breakdowns and this could prove very costly. But with proper maintenance plans, work progress will always be on track. Here are some tips for you:
- Make your maintenance plans routine. It’s important to use an equipment maintenance log to keep track of your equipment. But also keep maintenance of your software and machine control. In a construction business, for example, it’s essential to make daily system checks. You should also have scheduled maintenance and operator support.
- Maintain your maintenance schedules. Equipment can withstand the rigorous wear and tear of construction-related activities. Even so, they still require maintenance. Many equipment pieces usually undergo regular serviced check-ups. These will maximize their performance value. Such inspections will make the equipment operate at great performance levels. It would also prevent any unforeseen costly problems that may take place later on.
- Also, consider software updates. Keeping your construction always in their peak condition is important. So is keeping your construction software updated. This practice wouldn’t be too difficult if you install your updates as soon as they come out.
- These software updates are free and you can have them done automatically. Software providers usually release updates to fix certain problems. These updates are important even if you haven’t encountered them.
- It’s always a better idea to stay current by reading the release notes and keeping up with new trends. Updates may have a direct impact on your equipment usage and depreciation.
- Ask advice from trained operators. The person trained to operate purchased equipment should be the point-man. This is especially true for maintenance processes. Training is usually done at the beginning of the purchase. The operator is the most likely person to use, store, and transport the equipment. He will also be the point-man to identify any problems early. This is because of his familiarity with purchased equipment. Later on, the operator can eventually impart his knowledge to other company employees.
- Make the most out of field support. Even the best operator at times can be at a loss when confronted with new equipment problems. You may require external assistance. So try to maintain cordial relations with the supplier or dealer of the equipment. What better way to resolve an equipment problem than requesting it from these people? They can provide the proper customer service and technical support. Make your dealings personal during the purchase.
With this buyer-seller foundation, you can easily solve problems when they arise.
What to think about when making an equipment maintenance log
You should make sure that your equipment is always properly maintained. Do this for the equipment’s longer life. It’s a logical assumption that well-maintained equipment will last for longer periods.
You can design your own equipment maintenance log. But make sure the template covers the right care and maintenance of equipment. You can also download a template from here. An ocular examination of particular equipment will readily provide its present status.
A typical template will include some important details. These are:
- the name of the machine or equipment;
- the serial number;
- the manufacturer and all of the contact details;
- the date when you purchased it;
- the date when first used it;
- the person responsible for it;
You should include all maintenance information in the equipment service log. Keep track of important details. These include the cleaning materials used, parts you need to replace or repair, and more. All information that’s relevant in prolonging the equipment’s life should in the log.
Especially for production, machines have become an integral part of the work environment. Factories, laboratories, and other big establishments all depend on machines. They use them to run their business.
To keep track of the machine’s health, a machine maintenance log becomes a must. This will cover and provide all the needed maintenance for the machines. This is especially true for repairs and replacements.
It is never enough to repeatedly emphasize the importance of equipment maintenance. Their breakdown or malfunction is usually attributed to the lack of it. As a consequence, production could come to a halt and that can cost the business serious damages.
But a proper maintenance schedule with a proper log will prevent this. It will also yield continuous progressive productivity.